The concept of doing exercises to lose belly fat is ridiculous. You simply do not exercise fat. In fact, no matter what you do for exercise, here is why it will fail.
Exercises to Lose Belly Fat
Don’t you feel overwhelmed by all the possible ways that you are supposed to be able to lose belly fat by exercising? Exercise is generally good for you, of course. However, only certain exercises – with the right frequency, intensity, and duration – will have a net positive impact on your metabolism.
These DO NOT include ab crunchers or any of the plethora of machines that are advertised to help you flatten your belly. Exercise influences muscle tissue, not fat.
Nevertheless, if you think you are doing the right thing and you are still not getting the results that you want, you may want to doublecheck your strategy: See my video: Getting Rid Of Fat – Part 14 – Some Exercises Work And Some Do Not Work For Fat Loss.
Failing No Matter What You Do?
Many years ago, more than I want to mention, I took up jogging for fitness. I was in my early 30s and this was the craze back then. I jogged (we called it ‘running’) with a group of my colleagues at the university, at around noon every day of the work week. Then I jogged by myself on weekends. We all measured our progress by running in events from 10Ks up to marathons. There seemed to be an event every weekend, so we had plenty to choose from.
At some point I made a puzzling observation about my running buddies, which then extended to other people who ran in those events. It was this: In spite of their running, they carried a permanent spare tire around their bellies. No matter how much they ran, the excess fat would not go away.
This observation even included the fastest of us, some of whom qualified to run in the Boston Marathon every year, which I never did. People who put in a lot of mileage every week – 40 miles or more – were still fat! Even now, every event that I enter (still doing 10Ks and half-marathons) includes lots of fat people.
Obviously, runners are in good shape for running. And this is supposed to be one of the better kinds of aerobic exercise for fitness, if your joints can hold up against the pounding.
The puzzle to me, up until recently, was how runners could stay fat in spite of plenty of training.
Then I read somewhere that 80 percent of what your body does metabolically depends on diet, and the other 20 percent depends on physical activity. I don’t know whether this is a totally fabricated comment or is supported by research evidence somewhere. I will have to look into it later. Nevertheless, I like it.
Now we finally have some medical professionals who are looking into the influence of exercise vs. diet for overall fitness. This is a huge subject with lots of variables. One that is attracting an increasing amount of attention, however, is the role of modern grains as a cause of what I call ‘deranged metabolism’.
This is a topic that I will explore in depth in future posts. At this time, though, I just wanted to call to your attention a blog that has been around for about a year, by a cardiologist, Dr. William Davis, who has put some good thought into what he calls the ‘wheat belly’ syndrome. Here is an example of what I found on his blog recently (Why athletes are overweight). It is a quote that epitomizes what I noticed in my running buddies so long ago.
This makes sense to me, and it explains what I noticed in others at first, and now in myself. Cherie, of course, is super enthusiastic about the book by Dr. Davis that validates her experience. I don’t have any official comment on it at the moment. However, as soon as I submit this post I will order it from Amazon – they have some used copies available for around 14 dollars right now.
If you have experience with Dr. Davis’ book or advice from his blog, I’d sure like to hear about it.
Commenting on exercises to lose belly fat,